Sunday, June 15, 2008

great illustration

Sunday, I spoke on how "Fathers hold the key," and how they are the gatekeepers for their children and home. On Saturday morning, I'm up at 4:30am eating breakfast and checking my gear to go run that duathlon, when someone is knocking on my back deck sliding glass door. Adrenaline immediately starts pumping through my veins and this rougher looking guy is looking at me through the glass, smoking a cigarette and saying "let me in." I told him he was not coming in. He says "we need to talk, open the door." He finally says "let me talk to Emily." I assure him there is no one here by that name and he shows me the address on a piece of paper. He is about 3 streets off. He says, "sorry" and then walks off. There was no way on God's green earth I was letting that guy in my home. In the same way as a father, I hold the key to protecting my children and family. I can choose to close doors of hurt and open doors of healing.