Thursday, June 12, 2008

discipleship

I was reading Mark Batterson's blog and I love this quote from him, "I honestly don't think God will grow us beyond our ability to disciple people. And if small groups are our primary context for discipleship, then the number of small groups we have will determine our growth potential as a church." That hit me in the face, hard. I have thought similar thoughts before of why should God give us growth if we have no plan in place to disciple them? We must have steps and a process in place to help people move in their spiritual development. Discipleship is no doubt one of the hardest things we do as a church. My heart is to move discipleship from something we "do," to something we "are." It has to come natural, and not seem forced or awkward. It has to become the foundational lifeblood our our church and our reason for existence.

No comments: