Wednesday, February 20, 2008

boundaries


I want to put my family before my church. Not before God, but before the my church. In the Bible, God created the family before the church, and really have I really succeeded if I lose my wife and kids in the process of leading a church? I do believe that there is a healthy balance between my work at C3 and my role in my home. There are times when the church will have to do without me so I can give the time needed to my family. On the other side of that coin, there are also times when my family must sacrifice for me to work at the church. The key is to establish healthy boundaries and accountability if I cross one. Personally, I have a growth plan that outlines and protects my time with my family. Having 3 small children at home means that in this season of life, I will have to spend more time at home than at other seasons, like when it was just Keri and I. What boundaries are you needing to establish? This week we start a series on "boundaries."

2 comments:

Dave Kidd said...

Sorry, not trying to be a comment hog...

Dr McCorkle at SAGU, always opens his Foundations of Church Ministry class with this statement,

"God
Family
Ministry
any deviation from that priority is a recipe for disaster."

Derek said...

Good point...very good point...Glad to see that quote there too from Dr. McCorkle.