Tuesday, April 22, 2008

leaders leading leaders

I had a very quick conversation with a guy who has helped us tremendously as a church growth consultant. We were talking about phases of growth in churches and the obstacles of breaking through growth plateaus. He shared that the next big litmus test for us, will be if our key leaders (staff) can lead other leaders. It is one thing for a leader to lead followers. It is another thing completely, for a leader to lead other leaders, who leads followers. WOW, was that confusing or what? But do you see the point? That is when you move from addition to multiplication. Time will tell. I believe our C3 team is ready to GROW through this next challenge.

2 comments:

Ken DeChant said...

That's right on! The practical importance of having leaders who can reproduce other leaders becomes all the more important in churches, like C3, that have a vision of planting other churches. Journey has a similar vision and the practical side of this vision is that my worship leader needs to know that I'm expecting him to raise up other worship leaders (the same thing is true in every other ministry environment). If nothing else, these protiges are being raised up so that we have volunteer staff for the new churches that we wll be launching.

Konan Stephens said...

Absolutely my friend! I think too, that we have to lead by example. I have to ask myself the question of who am I developing to do what I do? If healthy apple trees reproduce other healthy apple trees, then as a healthy pastor, I should be reproducing other healthy pastors. But that is so much easier said then done.