Wednesday, April 16, 2008

fundamentals


Tonight, I begin my coaching career as a dad. Kind of exciting and scary all at the same time. I mean, how do you teach kids how to play an in depth game like baseball, when they have no concept of it? Hopefully, most of my team will have had a year of t-ball under their belt. This year they are playing "machine pitch." My dad growing up was usually coaching either my team or one of my brothers teams. One thing that I learned from him and will try to apply is to teach the "fundamentals" of the game. If I can get these kids throwing, fielding, running and hitting, I will have done my job. This is no small task with all 7 year olds, because there are so many distractions. (grasshoppers, dirt, their gloves, grass, etc)
Isn't that true for us? If we can just continue to do some "fundamental" spiritual disciplines, we can usually stay on the right track. For a believer, it may be things like Bible reading, prayer, fasting, plugging into a church and serving. These basic fundamentals are the foundation for which we can build our lives on and around, but many times they get lost amongst all our distractions. How are you doing with your fundamentals?

1 comment:

Dave Kidd said...

you forgot airplanes in your list of distractions :)

Great Post- So true