Friday, October 26, 2007

wrestling


In the 8th grade, I was the 95lb county champion wrestler. I know that is hard to believe, but it is true. That singlet looked like a poncho on me. Luck was on my side seeing that the guy seeded #1, suddenly came down with a hernia. I hope it was luck......because I was praying really hard. HA! Anyway, this week I felt like I was wrestling through this message I'm going to speak this Sunday on GREED. I never thought of myself as greedy....I mean c'mon I'm a church planter. According to American standards I'm sure I would be in the elite of givers to non-profits (God's Kingdom), but according to God's standards is another issue. God desires us to be generous, but many times we live financially and time wise, with NO MARGIN. Then when we see a need to give money or time to, we have nothing left. Or how about when we get some extra cash, we immediately think it is for us. When we are in need, we ask God "Where are you?". But when we have extra, we never ask "What am I to do with this?". I guess I'm just battling the whole American culture that keeps our focus on what we don't have. I've been wrestling with my greed in the little unnoticed areas of my life. I love when God's Word and His Spirit forces me to wrestle with my shortcomings so I can become a little more like HIM.

No comments: