Tuesday, October 2, 2007

the kid 2 blocks over

Yesterday on my day off, as I was playing in my backyard with my kids, when a neighborhood boy who is 9 years old stopped by. He was peering through the fence and asked id he could come in. I said yes, and he began to play with us, everything from soccer to baseball to basketball. There was only a couple of problems, one being he kept using the Lord's name in vain. So I had to pull him to the side and explain our "house" rules. That along with him trying to bully around my little guys who are 3 & 6. He then did well for a while as I would try to coach him and encourage him just like one of my boys. But then he would go back to the same old stuff. Eventually, after a couple of warnings, I told him he had to leave for the rest of the day. He looked at me with this stunned look and then left. I told him he could come back tomorrow if he would obey our rules. I realize first I have to protect my kids, but also this may be a chance God is giving me to invest in this kids life who seems to have no real male influence. I am excited to see how this plays out.

No comments: