Tuesday, January 16, 2007

why do you do what you do?

A mentor of mind told me of a story about his father who worked a fulltime job and pastored a small church for 7 years. His dad loved those people with everything that he had while being their pastor. He was there for funerals and weddings, hospital visits and everything inbetween. The whole time he never took a salary. When he finally moved on, the people took an offering and handed him right at $4.00 as he walked out the door. His son (my mentor) was a little upset. He had seen all the sacrifices that his dad had made as he sacrificially poured into that church and those people. The son asked his dad if he was upset, and his dad said "I wasn't doing what I did for them, but for Jesus"........Wow! I have to ask myself, "why do I do what I do?" Is it for the applause of man or something greater? Why do you do what you do? Motives, what are our real motives? Just some food for thought.

No comments: