Friday, January 19, 2007

magnifying glass


Thinking through our team and where are church is going the other day got my mind turning about the "magnifying glass of leadership". This is something that as you grow and move into greater responsibility, that you will soon be faced with. When you are leading on a smaller level, many of your flaws, lack and internal insecurities are hidden. But as you are put in bigger arena's, they will eventually come to the surface. Not only that, but they will be magnified for the world to see.
When I was a Youth Pastor of 20 kids, I thought I could do it all, and had no big weaknesses (can you say naive). I did it all and could for such a small group. But as we grew I began to realize that the areas I thought I was OK in, were now not acceptable, and my weaknesses begin to become enlarged. We grew some more and then I was appointed as the State Youth Director (DYD) of Ohio. Now even those things I thought I was "good" at were not at the level they needed to be. I soon learned to keep doing the things I'm the best at, and hand off the others. Also, by being under the magnifying glass, it brought my insecurities and character flaws to the forefront. Now they not only affected me and a handful of people, but 300 other churches as well. We all want the title without paying the price of the leadership magnifying glass being put to our lives.
So, what are some things that are hidden within you, that if you took the magnifying glass to, wouldn't look to pretty? Deal with them now, before they are blown up for all to see.

No comments: