Monday, August 6, 2007

constructive criticism


This past weekend while at the lake house (trailer actually), I had my mom in-laws neighbor give me an ear full. His heart was in the right place and I thanked him for his care for me and my family. He was slightly drunk (at 10am) and went on and on about how I am too thin and will soon die if I don't gain weight. He said all my tendons and bones were showing and that I am on a path to destruction. I tried to tell him that I eat like a horse and constantly monitor my nutrition, but he would have none of it. Now when people hit me with criticism, I have a couple of points that I run it through.
1. Who said it? - The closer the person is to me, the more I will consider it.
2. Was there a motive? - Did it come from the heart or was their an underlying motive
3. Have others said the same thing? - If more than one person is saying the same thing, I will look at it more seriously.
4. Is there any truth in it? - Sometimes there could be a nugget of truth surrounded by a lot of emotion.

So basically that is my grid that I run all my criticim through. I hope that helps.

And I am NOT TOO SKINNY!.......I'm slender...or mean and lean.....Ha!

No comments: