Wednesday, June 13, 2007

birdo

Two days ago we saw a robin in our backyard that was apparently sick. The bird just stood there as we got close enough to touch it gently with a stick. We then had to run to a t-ball game and returned to our backyard the next day to find the bird...dead. My boy's stood over our new friend "Birdo" in silence. "Why isn't he moving?, said my littlest boy. I then went into the spill of how life begins and ends. I picked up the bird with the help of a kiddie shovel and we all walked around the house to our big outdoor trash can. We said some last words and then dropped "birdo" in the giant green can. I told them that they bury all the stuff in here and that he would be buried to. All was cool till my 6 year old Kaden started crying...and crying...and crying. I have never seen him like this before. I did my best to console him and talk him through it. But I think for the first time he dealt with and understood death. That can be a scary thing! It's kind of crazy being a dad and walking through some of these issues in life that can be hard for a child. But we all must attempt to do our best.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah, right. Gently touched birdo huh? you killed the poor defenseless little guy with your club. I hope Kaden recovers from daddy killing his pet birdo.

Konan Stephens said...

Cmon.....Well maybe it was a gentle strike.....just kidding.