Monday, October 13, 2008

toothfairy


Yesterday after church, our family went to Sonic to sit outside and eat. (I have to give props to my Keri, who with the help of coupons, can usually get our meals for 5 people under $10) Anyway, while eating his corn dog, my seven year old Kaden's tooth fell out on the ground. I was laughing as we were looking for it and finally found it. He knew that tooth represented a $1 bill and was determined to find it. Later that night, he asked his mom if she was the tooth fairy. He is at that age where he is starting to lose some of his innocence and see the world more in reality. It's kind of sad when this begins to take place, but in all reality, I guess it has to. (I don't want to be driving to his house when he's 37 and trying to slip a dollar under his pillow) As a dad, I want to protect my kids from the junk of the world, but yet let them experience enough to where they are not naive. I think my parents did a great job with me and my brothers. My dad was great at using circumstances and situations as teaching moments. That combined with them sheltering us and my mothers prayers, seemed to work pretty well. On the other hand, had they "over sheltered" us, we probably would have went out and made a lot of stupid decisions or been led astray. Now it is mine and Keri's chance to try to do the same with our kids.

No comments: