Monday, October 6, 2008

change


Today, I bought a 2001 Dodge Stratus! I'm excited to now have a car with A/C and without the horrible gas smell and smashed back end. I am though, struggling with letting my old car go. Her name is Bonnie the Bonneville, and we have traveled over 150,000 miles together. I've had some great times with Jesus in that car, and toured the state of Ohio through many small towns. It's almost like losing the family pet..ha. Why is change so hard? I think we are creatures of habit and routine. For the most part, we are drawn to security and comfort. If we are to live life to the fullest, we have to fight against this urge to remain in our comfort zone. Whether we like it or not, things change. This life of faith that Christ calls us to, is on the edge and far away from normal. To get the fruit, you have to go out on a limb.

1 comment:

Nightshade said...

I feel your pain. I still mourn the loss of my first car, a 1982 Mustang. It died valiantly in a 65mph head-on crash that my my wife, the not-at-fault driver, walked away from without a bruise. It was miraculous that a car with 169,000 miles on it held up better than a new Toyota.

Cars are special to us because we spend so much time in them and much of that time is spent being real. There aren't many places in this world where we feel safe enough to be the real us. It's almost like emotions have geographic ties.