Wednesday, September 5, 2007

first ministry position


On Monday, I took the family and drove to South Canton for a little exteneded family get together at a park out in the country. I drove past my old High School and all the roads that I ran hundreds of miles on over the years. Then we drove by the church where I had my first paid ($30 a week) ministry position. I started youth ministry at age 18 in my first year in college at this Methodist Church. The pastor was the assistant Cross Country coach who gave me a chance. I also got to preach my first Sunday morning service there. I started with one kid and it grew to over 20. So many lessons were learned in that 2 years that God would build upon in the years to come. I'm just glad someone gave me a chance. Of course for $30 a week, they probably weren't lining up, but they still took a risk on me. Not only that, but they had patience and understanding to know that I had a ton of passion and energy but lacked on the wisdom side of things.
I want to be the one who believes in this next generation enough to give them opportunities that could forever shape them into who God wants them to be.

No comments: