Thursday, September 20, 2007

far out


When it comes to vision, how far is too far out? Personally, I feel there is a happy medium somewhere. I have met leaders who can see their vision fully fulfilled. The problem is, they can't get started or don't know how to lead the change in order to get there. On the flip side of the coin, there are many leaders who can't get past the tyranny of the urgent. They are so bogged down in putting out current fires and managing where they are at, that any plan for the future gets lost.
I sat with my coach and he, (looking from a different angle) said, we probably needed to be looking at land for a future campus. It hit me pretty hard. I personally could see us doing 2 more services at our current location and either a multi-site or a church plant, but I wasn't thinking that far out. Perhaps my coach was judging the speed at which we (C3 Church) are growing. Whatever the case, it challenged me to get the vision for the next 2-3 years, while at the same time keeping in mind the next 10 - 20 years. My prayer is for balance and to hear the heart of God on the matter. So I will continue to seek God and wise counsel as we navigate this amazing journey.

1 comment:

Dave Kidd said...

Whoa freaky,

Someone from ODC and I just had that conversation today. For the not so distant vision, I like to plan it backwards. If God gives me a vision for ministry, family or life in general, I'll try to get a mental image of it in my mind as it should be a couple of years down the road. Then I can lay down a reversed track of prepared steps, or things that need to take place, that will show me what I need to do to get started. While I think we often dream too small and miss out on God's amazing plans, it helps my finite mind to see the vision in steps, that makes for the nice "balance" in my life. It helps me because I tend to be a sail, and the steps keep me moving forward with good order.

Just some thoughts.