Sunday, September 16, 2007

I did it


Saturday, was the most physically and mentally punishing day of my entire life. I now see why they call it the "Ironman". The race started at the beach for a 2.4 mile swim on a lake, with a temperature of 38 degrees. It took me just under 1 1/2 hours. I felt pretty good in the water, until I came out shivering. I pulled of my wetsuit, put on a shirt, helmet and gloves and took off on a 112 mile bike ride. That took me 6 hours and 40 minutes. Those long straight roads lined with cornfields have a way of making you crazy. I started cramping pretty bad at mile 56, and pushed through the 2nd half of the bike. The ride took its toll on my body as I changed shoes, put on a hat and ran off on a 26.2 mile run. So many battles in my mind, heart and will. On mile 15 of the run, my body almost shut down. I got dizzy and thought I was going to hurl. That's when all the thoughts of quitting start crossing your mind. When you don't know if you have what it takes. There were several who did not finish. It is in these few moments in life where you really see what you are made of. I was literally so physically and mentally exhausted, I almost started crying. Crazy! Then I remembered what I tell my boys and little girl, "Stephens never quit". I asked Jesus for help and pressed on. I started feeling a little better as I ran. It was completely dark when I finished the race in 12 hours and 54 minutes. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I don't think I will ever do another one that far, but deep inside I know that when I was truly tested.........I prevailed..............because I can do ALL things through Christ which strenghtens me.

7 comments:

Brandon Lemois said...

Hats off man....thats CRAZY - in an awesome way : )

Konan Stephens said...

thanks man...I'm feeling it today....

chilly said...

amazing konan! wow!

what's the recovery time after a trial like that?

i found myself thinking of you and praying for you during your race.

you are the man!!

Josh Stephens said...

I'm proud of you bro! You truly inspire me and I couldn't ask for a better big brother to look up to.

Konan Stephens said...

Thanks bro. It is supposed to take 3 days of recovery for every hour of race time. So I'm looking at 39 days. The only problem is, I'm going to try to bounce back and qualify for the Boston marathon by running a fast enought time in the Columbus marathon, 5 weeks from now. I talked with a pro Ironman about it.... he was a little doubtful. I'm still going to give it a shot, seeing I'm running with some other people in our church.

Dave said...

Wow, Konan, that is great! Congrats on finishing :) Its interesting to read your struggle with finishing...after 112 miles on the bike and a swim. Most of us would struggle to even want to start!

Christy said...

Wow. You are inspiring. We thought about all day during your race. Can't wait to hear all about it on Sunday.