Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Lost in the parking lot


I sat in my car in the Wal-Mart parking lot the other day, on the phone in a conversation, when I began to notice something. I witnessed several people who somehow misplaced there 2 ton vehicle. (We have all been there before I am sure) Just in the 15minutes I was there, 2 or 3 shoppers were walking around aimlessly in pursuit of their hiding vehicle. It's not like someone else parked their car for them, or even that they had forgotten what it looked like. They were just walking aisle after aisle before their key fit the right lock.
This is kind of like life. I mean how many people are wandering around aimlessly trying to find a purpose for their lives. They will search in several aisles and perhaps even occasionally try the key to see if fits. But until we realize that "we were created by God and for God" (Rick Warren Purpose Driven Life) we will continually come up short. For me personally, I feel like I have found the car and now I need God's direction to make it out of the parking lot! How about you? Are you lost in the parking lot?

1 comment:

BeckE said...

Hmmm... this sounds like a sermon series. Where are you going? or Are we there yet? Because undoubtly there are those type of folks you talk about but then there are those who don't even look. They just hit the panic button. They're hoping their car finds them. Then there are the type of folks who will drive around the parking lot continually looking for that one perfect spot. They put so much effort into finding that one spot that they drive past several available spots continually. ... I'll admit I've probably been each type of person at one phase in my life or another, but right now ... I'm probably in my car, key in the ignition but I'm not moving because I'm too busy reading a map. I'm sure there are plenty of others like me, who think we need to know where we're headed before we drive away.