Thursday, July 10, 2008

power of a name


Last night before bed, I was reading to my boys from their Bible. I came across the story of the prophet Elisha. My son Kross's middle name is Elisha. I told him that we named him that believing that God is going to give him a double portion of God's blessing, favor and power. Then Kaden asked what his name meant. I told him it means "mighty warrior." (I think that is what it means...if not, it does now!) I said, "so every time I say "Kaden," I am calling you mighty warrior." To look in that kid's eyes at that moment, I could see a confidence welling in his heart. At that moment I could sense that he felt he could take on the world. I told him that he was going to be a "mighty warrior" for Jesus Christ and that he would change the world......and he went to sleep that night, actually believing he could. As a Dad, I will do my best to cultivate those words and pray that it comes to pass.

1 comment:

Nightshade said...

Many people end up living up to their names like Jacob = heal grabber/deceiver. Mine means "Dweller in a stony dwelling/fortified house/castle at the encampment against wolves." As a minister, I find my name a bit ironic and appropriate. ;)