Wednesday, November 29, 2006

complacently pleased

Reading this morning in Luke 18:9 about where Jesus told a parable to some who were "complacently pleased" (Message translation). That phrase just caught me. How easy is it to get complacent and then be pleased with ourselves as we compare ourselves to others. I think there is a difference between being "complacently pleased" and "pleased but not complacent". It is one thing to be pleased about what God has done or is doing in or through us, and thinking we have "arrived". I enjoy celebrating and enjoying a victory or win, but when the moment is over, I must move on. I am still pleased but not complacent. It's like the a team that wins the championship hardly ever repeats becuase of this "complacently pleased" mentality. It is so easy to settle, as if we have arrived. But we must realize this life is a journey, not a destination.
Are you compalcently pleased? Am I?

No comments: