Monday, March 18, 2013

pace

As long distance runner, I have learned a few things about pace.  Almost every race, you have that newbie toe up to the line and at the crack of the gun, take off as fast as he can.  The adrenaline is pumping, the crowd is cheering and the cameras are all snapping.  The let down comes after about 1/4 mile into the race, when he realizes his legs are filling up with lactic acid and that he has gone out way too fast.  This once enthusiastic runner, goes from the front to the back quickly, never to recover.

I am learning as our church continues to pick up speed, that I must continually monitor my pace.  I am a running a marathon and not a sprint.  It's hard to continually look ahead and remember this, but with God's help, I would like to be doing this for a long time.  I continually ask myself, "How much longer can I run this pace?"  I am the only one who can take care of me.  I want to be healthy in life, marriage, family, ministry and with Jesus.  It's at times a very tough balancing act.

No comments: