Monday, January 29, 2007

trophies


Yesterday was a great day in the life of C3 Church. Our church continues to grow and we had our 2nd largest attendance ever (launch day being biggest). There is a sense of excitement in the air as every week new guests are showing up and getting involved. But yesterday was capped off at the Pickerington adult dodgeball tournement hosted by the Chamber of Commerce. It was a blast. There were 11 teams, 2 of which were representing C3. Now I personally have to admit, I have a deep rooted issue in my life and it has to deal with trophies. I can laugh about it, but I will almost lose a limb to win one. I have collected them my whole life, and for some reason I have this burning desire to get more. Honestly, without the hardware I usually won't even sign up. But when I saw the gleam of that cup, sparkeling just perfect in that ultraviolet light, I knew I would cherish it forever (my precious). Both of our C3 teams played hard, but my team squeezed in as champions. Myself, my Keri, Jillian, bro. Josh, Gary and Dave rounded out the field. It was a lot of fun, for which we are all paying for today with sore arms. So my trophy now goes down to the back half of my (unfinished) basement to collect dust for eternity. Why does the chase of the coveted "trophy" haunt my soul? I don't know. I guess we all have an inner longing for something and now that I really think deep about it, I think mine is signifigance. I just want to be used by God to make a signifigant difference in the world. Perhaps the silly trophies i've collected are a tangible way I think I am being signifigant in other areas of life. Who know's, but I have this feeling deep in my gut that as God continues to peel the layers back on my life, that one day He may ask for all my trophies. As silly as that sounds, that would actually kind of hurt. But until then, I will keep drinking out of my new trophy cup. I'm laughing as I writing this in a Panera Bread, but it is true. So why do you really do what you do? What deep inside do you long for?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, nice picture of just you winning the tournement!

hope said...

So what if the other team was called "The Buckeye Card Club". A win is a win. Age doesn't matter. At least thats what my grammy used to say.

Konan Stephens said...

I didnt say how we won, or who we won against. I only said we won! HA! And Dave you will have your chance to shine this Sunday!